Saturday, August 11, 2012

Roseate Terns again!

I wasnt satisfied by our earlier trip to Coquet Island with one poor view of a distant Roseate Tern from a bobbing boat so I went back this morning to South Shields at Sandhaven Beach where there have been several adult and juvenile Roseates for a few days.
I was quickly rewarded with excellent views of a juvenil Roseate Tern on rocks to the the side of the South Pier. An adult was seen flying round but didn't land and I was unable to lock onto it with the camera. After about an hour I walked back and observed a growing number of Common Terns resting on the sand. After 20 minutes a pale bird appeared which was an adult Roseate Tern where I managed some record shots and good views in the scope. Job done!
Also seen were Turnstones, Sanderling, Fulmar, Linnet and Rock Pipit