Monday, April 2, 2012

Cetti's Warbler

Just got home after a weekend in Kent visiting friends. Managed a day's birding at Dungerness and the highlight was seeing a Cetti's warbler. There were at least 6 calling loudly sometimes right infront of me but buried deep in reeds or bushes. One birder said you usually hear them but rarely see them and I spent about 40 minutes staring at a bush where two were calling to each other and didn't see anything. I thought I was going to add to the list of birds I have heard and not seen (corncrake and quail!), but suddenly one appeared at the top of a bush, called nervously and then flew over some water into the reeds. No chance to get the camera out ofcourse! Other notable species were 4 marsh harriers, a female long-tailed duck, gadwall and a very close spoonbill. We also saw 20-25 red kite above the M40 on both journeys there and back.